The AAFC Agroforestry development Centre at Indian Head, Saskatchewan plans to host a Sea Buckthorn field day on August 29, 2013. This field day will highlight over 20 years of sea buckthorn research at Indian Head. The field day will include demonstrations and field visits and provide an excellent forum for discussions between established, new and prospective growers and hopefully a few processors.
1. Mechanized harvest demonstration – We will be demonstrating a vacuum harvester manufactured by VIPE-OY in Finland. Attendees will learn how this harvester performs with different cultivars including ‘Indian –Summer’.
2. Russian cultivar trial – This trial was planted in 2000 and includes 13 Russian cultivars and 80 cultivars developed in the AAFC breeding program.
3. New AAFC Cultivars – Harvest Moon, AC Prairie Sunset, AC Autumn Glow and other new cultivars will be highlighted.
4. Orchard management – management practices such as pruning, orchard design and weed control will be discussed.
5. Berry tasting – Most cultivars will be ripe and ready for harvest allowing participants to experience the unique taste of different cultivars.
Participants are asked to pre-register by August 27, and the field day will be held rain or shine.
If you have any questions please contact Kelsey Henderson at Kelsey.Henderson@agr.gc.ca.