A new funding initiative has been announced through the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food and Ministry of Rural Affairs to help bring more local food to Ontario consumers.
The Local Food Fund is a three-year initiative with funding of up to $10 million per year to support innovative local food projects that reduce barriers to regional economic development; result in sustainable regional economic development; and have a positive impact on the Ontario economy.
The goal of the Local Food Fund is to increase the purchase of Ontario foods and contribute to increased economic activity (investment, sales and jobs), through the following Local Food Fund outcomes:
- Increased awareness of and celebration of local food.
- Influencing Ontarians to demand and choose more local food.
- Ensuring local food is identifiable and widely available.
- Helping Ontario’s agri-food sector deliver products that consumers want.
- Strengthening local food economies from farm to fork.
The Fund will support projects in four categories:
- Regional and Local Food Networks
- Enhanced Technologies, Capacity and/or Minor Capital
- Research and Best Practices
- Education, Marketing and Outreach
For more information about the Local Food Fund and to download an application guidebook please visit the OMAF and MRA website at: www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/about/localfood.htm