The hop research trials being conducted by the University of Guelph (U of G) through the OMAFRA New Directions research program include funding to collect hop samples from farm sites across the province in order to develop Ontario baseline data of hop profiles (i.e. brewing values and essential oils) by cultivar.
The U of G research team is requesting any interested Ontario hop growers to submit samples this fall for testing. Please note:
- A total of 100 samples will be collected in 2014 on a first come, first served basis. Growers can submit up to a maximum of 10 samples per farm (sample submission via post or courier is paid for by the grower).
- Minimum individual sample size for submission is 15 g (~1/2 oz.).
- There is no cost for testing.
- Growers will receive an individual report for the samples they submit. Due to the nature of the project, hop analysis and data compilation will be completed throughout the winter months and therefore growers should not expect a quick turnaround for their individual report.
- The public research report will not identify growers directly but rather group analytical results in general categories for confidentiality.
- A call for samples will also take place in the 2015 growing season in order to obtain a minimum of 2 years of data.