This year the beer style chosen for the competition is the Black IPA.
The BJCP official Overall Impression cites the Black IPA as …”A beer with the dryness, hop-forward balance, and flavor characteristics of an American IPA, only darker in color – but without strongly roasted or burnt flavors. The flavor of darker malts is gentle and supportive, not a major flavor component. Drinkability is a key characteristic.”
Important New Changes: This year some new rules and changes have been implemented based on competitor feedback and ongoing administration requirements, including:
- Brewers may only submit one entry, teamed with no more than two Hop growers. Hop growers may not be part of more than two entries.
- Entry into the competition is $25.00 CDN to be paid with the registration.
- The Hop grower must have more than 400 hop plants or ½ acre in production with the intent to sell for use in commercially available beer.
- Entries must be in six bottles. Bottles may be of any size or colour as long as they DO NOT identify the entrant (e.g. no unique raised lettering, bottle design, graphics or colour). Each bottle must be affixed with a competition entry label. Neither cans nor Swing-top or corked bottles are allowed. Crowns can be any colour as long as they DO NOT identify the entrant. Obliterate any lettering or graphics on the crown
with a permanent marker. Failure to meet these requirements will result in disqualification. Beer and bottles will not be returned.
- The GOHCBC will not be held responsible for missing entries. If you have not received confirmation that your entry has been received, contact us immediately.